Parker's thread... Boo! Now with WIPs!

Parker's thread... Boo! Now with WIPs!

Postby Parker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:25 pm

The only scary thing around here is how much I suck at coming up with titles... And keeping up with WIP threads.

Anyway, I got:

Spoiler: show
Name: Tals
Three Dolls:
base, I think

base

base by DHF

Allow blood/gore?: sure

I still haven't settled for a particular doll, and I want to see if I can incorporate all three into my redoll. Something like the witch scene from Snow White.
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 2,299.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Parker's thread... Boo!

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Okay, I've spent a couple of days trying to get some context for these dolls. I've checked her DA and at least two are there, but I couldn't get much information on them. I also figured they may be characters, and browsed through her other sites, and I found this spoilered info:

Doll number one is a fury called Alecto. She's a mythical creature that can be summoned to punish moral sins, and is known to instil wrath and bloodthirst on people's hearts.

Doll number two is of her character Phin, an illusionist. Judging from her description, she seems to be interested (or could be easily given an interest) in the occult, which could help me tie her to the other two characters, see the thumbnails below.

Doll number three is of her character Victoire, a vampire. I like that she has lots of lace and feminine traits, but I want to make something more grotesque or Halloween-ish, so I may need to change a couple of things. In her character profile, she mentions that she obviously has a thirst for human blood, and she may not be so sweet when that happens. That could be a good way to show that nasty side of hers.

And now that I have all that, I have made some thumbnails with ideas.

Thumbnail 1: A dark figure rides a long way into the forest to an abandoned hut to meet with a mysterious lady who fixes things with magic. I would icorporate the fury as a guardian to the house right above the door.

Thumbnail 2: I kept getting this mental image of santería; or Yoruba rituals in the Caribbean, mainly Cuba and Dominican Republic. I think the Dominican kind is known as Dominican voodoo too. They're in the middle of a purification ritual, with the old lady spitting some substance on top of the dark figure. I will also add some vegetables and pumpkins to have some kind of very obvious Halloween look. Lots of candles and skulls as well, and a reference to Satan with the cow skull hanging from the wall. The fury would not appear in this doll, except for having some snakes and feathers. I could also change the ritual to the one where they sacrifice an animal, and have the priestess cut a black hen's throat.

ImageImage

These other two are more literal, but I still think they could work.

Thumbnail 3 shows Phin reading from an old book and summoning something she won't be able to control. According to Greek mythology and literature, Alecto's weapons are a whip and a torch. I think she's meant to have bird wings, but I've seen some Fury artwork with bat wings and I kind of like the idea. It's also easier to shade and I can add veins to the membrane between the fingers.

Thumbnail 4: If all else fails, I can always try to draw Alecto by herself, but I fear that this one won't be that original or different from the original doll, since that's most of what I have to work with.

None of these are final, so I'm open to any comments or critique.
Parker
Director
Director

Re: Parker's thread... Boo! Now with WIPs!

Postby Gwen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 pm

These are all super gorgeous but three has really awesome composition. Of course it's all up to you but <3 wow!
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 112.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Blackfyre

Postby Phoenigette » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:06 pm

completely agree with gwen. I love the composition on that one!
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 16,993.00
AKA: Batty's Slave
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby Artzygrrl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:07 pm

I vote for 3. Unless of course a different one seems inspiring to you, cuz we all know how it is when you really want to make a certain thing, lol. But I love the pose with the wings!!
Artzygrrl
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 2,411.00

Postby Parker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Okay, so number 3 it is! I also liked the composition of that one better, although the perspective is killing me not so softly :|

Anyway, I have a WIP to show. I've been procrastinating a lot, mostly because it seemed to daunting at first, but I must hand this is by the 28th, so I'd better get it going. Thumbnailed because it is huge. I will resize it once I figure out where I want to go with this.

I decided to show the fury being more menacing, so I dropped her weapons, and settled for her nails, which are pretty obvious in the original doll. I need to relocate everything in this doll, perhaps have some of that patronus thingy (I think they were called that in the Harry Potter series ???) covering part of the fury, or maybe have her fly through it and about to fall on Phin. I don't know what I want to do with yet, but I'll eventually find out. In any case, I liked the idea of having two light sources, one coming from the book, the other from her magic spell. I haven't decided what she may be invoking either, I just added that phoenix/peacock thing as a filler. And this will eventually have colour, of course. I'd rather go bit by bit, instead of juggling with too many difficult elements all at once.

The fury has three snakes on her head, which I ripped off from this painting (Alecto is the one on our right side, carrying the torch). Not so much ripped as, in the painting, the snakes are part of their hair, whereas in mine, she simply has a bunch of snakes that resemble dreadlocks. And I went back to bird (eagle) wings because I'm pretty sure bat wings wouldn't allow her to throw herself on top of her prey like that. Not a huge fan of them, because they're harder to shade, but I think they make more sense. I hope they do at least.

Also, does this look Halloween-y enough? Or should I add some other details? Have her summon a pumpkin perhaps?
Parker
Director
Director

Postby Artzygrrl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Love it!!! <3 Sorry, no c/c, cuz it's beautiful
Artzygrrl
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 2,411.00

Return to Team Monster