MDE Bosnia & Herzegovina

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

MDE Bosnia & Herzegovina

Postby Tals » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:40 pm

I'M HALFWAY DONE IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE
base by DHF, now defunct

Does the black shading show up to y'all? I'm never sure with this computer. I know I still need to do something with her stupid left hand too, but I can't seem to fix it without making it worse.

(Does anyone know any image hosts besides Photobucket or Tinypic? They both hate me as of late.)

Spoiler: show
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 1,672.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://dnya.deviantart.com

Re: MDE Bosnia & Herzegovina

Postby Phoenigette » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:17 pm

I see black and no shading on my phone
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 15,707.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby Tals » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:22 pm

ImageImage

are either of these two any better?

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby LtSheesha » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 pm

I can see shading in those, but only when I lean forward. Shading looks better on the left version, but it still needs to be lighter.

Okay, firstly, for image hosts, I've been using imgur, so you could give that a try.

Now, for a bit o' crit. The bridge of the nose looks really felinoid, very unnatural for a human. I think she needs some shadowing between her brows, and to bring the eye socket darkness um, to her brows and inwards a little bit? If my wording makes sense. She currently has so little shadowing around the eyes, it looks like they don't have sockets.

The show on the right (her left) is awkwardly shaped and doesn't follow the foot shape. It shouldn't come out as far connecting to the foot there, and the shape should have an angle to it to accommodate the heel.

Also, because she isn't standing totally straight, her dress, particularly the bottom, oughn't be so straight; it should follow the movement of her body.
LtSheesha
Extra
Extra

Diamonds on hand: 74.00

Postby Dragyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:47 pm

I see no shading .-.
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 370.00
AKA: Bree
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby buttons » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:27 pm

I can see the shading on all of them, but I think the shading on the right one in the second post looks best.
vial by OKami_hu

Hagrid by Axxkat <3
buttons
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 644.00

Postby Blackfyre » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 pm

On my phone I see no shading whatsoever, on my laptop I do although it's fairly light :P I actually thought she had a kitty smile at first (which is cute haha) but idk if that was intentional. You're doing an awesome job though, I love that dress design.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥

Blackfyre
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 2,549.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Dead-By-Midnight

Postby Tals » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks, y'all! Her kitty face wasn't intentional, though for what it's worth I've also been working on Shix's catborg so XD

This is what I have now so far. Still have to work out her dress and that foot though, but I got frustrated so I'm saving it for last =/

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby AxxKat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm

you can definitely see the shading now! :)
Check out my shop! || OC Art/ Fashion Blog || AxxKat's Contests!

made by the lovely lex <3

My Charm Bracelet!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AxxKat
Gaffer
Gaffer

Diamonds on hand: 6,255.00

Postby Tals » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Ah good! I was about ready to chunk this computer out the window -_-

portrait base
Figure I'd go ahead and stick what I have of the portrait here too. It's gonna need some work, but that's the gist of it XD

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Phoenigette » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm

I can now tell that there is shading on the black!! I just have to squint to see it.

Eeeeeeee, I'm loving all of the these MDE wips
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Postby batgirl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:56 pm

your screen must be bright and high contrast like mine. I had issues with people seeing my velvet shading for MMP for a long time. I love the purple hue to the black. As for the foot, when in doubt, do a higher heel. You usually go for low pumps (I think...) so why not try something high and crazy?
batgirl
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 6,582.00
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Postby Alissa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 am

I can see the shading on the dress in the latest version, and though I like the purple tone, it actually seems a bit too saturated to me, so maybe you could tone it down just a little bit. I like the way you edited the original base; though it's still recognizably Moe, you've managed to give it a new spin that makes her unique. The portrait and the fullbody don't really seem to match as bone structure goes, and this is especially apparent in the arms. You could either make the portrait's arms skinnier or the fullbody's arms thicker, but as they are now, they're too different. The portrait's arms also seem longer, especially the right one (her right, not ours). I'm actually liking the feline look.
Alissa
Stand-in
Stand-in

Diamonds on hand: 98.00

Postby LtSheesha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:15 am

The bridge of the nose looks rather odd on the portrait, like it never ends, if that makes sense. Angle and shading make it look like her nose keeps going up into her hairline. I notice that she also doesn't have too defined a browbone atop the nose on the fullbody (part of what makes it look so feline), so that is consistent, but it just looks... off. I might redline it and edit this post. Her eyebrows are also higher in the fullbody compared to the portrait (and hairline, by the looks of it)and more arched. Eye and mouth shape are consistent, though-- and cute! I love how the eyes look on the fullbody.
LtSheesha
Extra
Extra

Postby Tals » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 am

I called myself fixing some things, but I'm worried I might have made it worse =/

I really need help with her left arm shading. I know there's some foreshortening involved there but I don't know how to go about it shading-wise. I'm also not confident about the shading on the portrait's top.

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Parker » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:23 pm

The easiest way to create that effect would be by using the shadows and highlights in your palettes to make some elements look further from the viewer (shadows) or closer (highlights). The elbow would be the part of the arm that's the furthest away from her body and ourselves, so it would have the darkest shadows. You can then use the lightest shades in the areas closer to her body: her shoulder, forearm etc. Try to emphasise her elbow with your shadows.

As for the top, I'd say the biggest issue I see with your doll is what I've come to find in most people's work: there's no real volume to your shading. To put it into simpler terms, you seem to think of lines on a screen instead of a 3D body, which may explain why you couldn't figure out the foreshortened arm: because that requires thinking in three dimensions instead of two. The main problem with how you've shaded her top is that that big shadow to our left makes it look flat. Look at it. You have all that space that is right there in the open, and it's covered by a block of dark pixels. If you think about the shapes in a human torso, you will realise that there should be some shading to convey its natural roundness.

Simply add more shading to it. Take that nice orange you've picked to soften the darkest shadows and extend the shapes in her body to her left. Add some folds near the breasts that show how the top is slightly stretched, or the outter curves of her right (our left) boob. Add some highlights in a softer light to her back (the bit that's visible through her bent arm) to make it look more 3D. I did that by picking the background colour you've used and adding some light orange to it. Simply pick the colours closest to that area and desaturate and cool them down a bit. You can pick some desaturated orange, greys or blues and purples. If you add that cool highlight, you will need to do the same to the rest of the doll, so keep it in mind when making your decision.

As for her feet, body weight is key here. There are tutorials dealing with this that will do a much better job at explaining the technicalities -- Warren Louw's Strike a pose or Zoe Hong's How to draw fashion figures series come to mind--, but the basics are as follows: where's all her body weight resting on? One leg? Both? Is it centred? Moved to one side? From the looks of it, her weight seems to rest on both legs, although most of it seems to be concentrated on her right (our left leg). I would show that by making sure her right foot looks firm, secure on the ground. When you stand in poses like this one you'll notice that your foot tends to stick out a bit, pointing slightly outwards. Let's take a look at this reference. Notice how her right foot (our left) is turned slightly outward and how we can see part of the heel (not the shoe's, but her foot's). Adding that detail will make the foot look more secure, as if it were resting on the ground holding her weight. The shoe's sole will rest flat against the ground. If she's wearing platform shoes, then you'll have the bottom part of the platform rest flat, but depending on the kind of shoe, you may see the tip curve up a bit. In that case, the widest part of the platform (the one with the biggest surface) will be pressed down against the floor. This is because we balance our weight on the foot's sole (widest surface) and not our toes (the tip of the shoe).

Her other foot still carries some of her weight, but the pressure in it will be lighter, so you can have it posed in a different way. I went for a 3/4 view in the opposite direction. That way the weight is balanced between the two feet. If you want to be creative with it, try out the poses first and focus on where your weight falls. Focus on where you put the biggest pressure when you move your body. That will signal where your weight is resting. Just be careful and don't do it where people can see you. They will think you're crazy. Or dancing. Or dancing like crazy.

I've also reshaded her legs, mostly to help the pose read better. Adding some muscle definition* here and there helps people see what's going on with the pose, and your doll looks more like a real human and less like a bunch of pixels. I also added a bit of the reflective light colours here and there to soften my shading.

*You may think this means you have to reshade everything, but it doesn't. You can get away by going over your existing shading and simply adding some shades that add some perspective to your shapes. I'm not sure how you shade: whether you block in the shades or you simply draw some outlines and then fill. But I would suggest that you use a pencil that's bigger than one pixel and add the shadows and highlights focusing on where the different muscles and bones are in a human body. Grab some references and simply see where the main highlights are. The more you do this, the easier it becomes. Learn to read shapes in real human beings and you'll see where to place them in your dolls much more clearly.

Key points:

- Shadows help make stuff look further away. Highlights bring stuff closer to the viewer.
- Highlights and reflective light make things look 3D.
- Body weight can help you find your feet. Don't let the base's outlines limit you. If you need to edit the whole leg, do it.
- Muscle definition will be your best friend. And it makes dolls look sexy.
Image - Image - Image
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 2,235.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Tals » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I'm learning stuff, slowly but surely =)

So I'm calling this done and planning to send her in tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything glaringly obviously bad that I missed first.

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Phoenigette » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:40 pm

Looks great! I think the port lace could be darker on the shadowy areas by her neck, but otherwise seems done
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Postby Mogget » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:17 pm

she looks great! I think Phoenigette is right about the lace on her neck but that should be a quick fix
*runs off to work more frantically on her own MDE
Mogget
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 19,517.00

Postby Tals » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm back!

Normally I don't like to start on the next round's entry before we get the results for the one before it, but I just realized that the deadline for it is Easter weekend, and then my schedule's gotten really weird at work, so I've got to get in where I fit in =/
base

I'm trying to figure out what to do for her hair. She's asking for a powdered wig, but I'm pretty sure that that's against the rules.

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Artzygrrl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:33 pm

You could make her hair look rounded like a cherry. :)
Image Image Image Image
The artist formerly known as Dena!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Artzygrrl
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 2,375.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Phoenigette » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:45 pm

oooo starting already? I love it
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Postby Dragyn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:18 pm

I don't see why you couldn't do her hair up in a twist like it anyway? And don't worry. I started too.

I love that you're going with the same gold from her port. That was a gorgeous pallet.
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 370.00
AKA: Bree

Postby Tals » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks, y'all! Go figure, I have a migraine today, so can't doll. Watch me still end up not turning her in until the very last minute!

@ Bree: that was an accident! I didn't realize until I pasted the tufahija pic that it was almost the same color as her top, so I was like, hey, don't have to make a new palette XD

ImageImage

click for credits <3
Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby LtSheesha » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Instead of a wig, you could opt for some sort of hairpiece? You could probably even match the hairpiece design to her skirt, which would give nice cohesion.
LtSheesha
Extra
Extra

Next

Return to Rehearsals