Need Help! ;A;

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Need Help! ;A;

Postby SnailorBee » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I agreed to do an art trade for this character since she matched this base I've been wanting to use since forever. After I started I realized: I can't do dresses or folds. D:
Supposed to look like a basic tunic? Any advice? And I'll have to do her in bare feet, does anyone know how to do toes really easily? 8'D;; Also I know the hair is wonky looking, I'm going to be putting more work into that later. :x Why does my hair shading always turn out differently *sobs forever*
Base
SnailorBee
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 103.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: AnnaTheAmazing

Re: Need Help! ;A;

Postby SnailorBee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

*pokes quietly*
SnailorBee
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby Parker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 pm

I've just replied to a post with some tips on drawing clothes, you can read my reply here. That post was on jeans, but there's a general intro to folds that may be helpful.

I also have some specific tips for you:

Always start with a reference. Most clothes in Ancient Greece were made of linen, so googling "linen tunic" or "linen tunic dress" will help. If you want any other fabrics like silk or satin, look them up. If you don't know the fabric your clothes are made of, do research. I had no idea, but the design looked Greek or Roman inspired, so I looked up Greek tunics, and got the Wikipedia page for Ancient Greek clothing where linen and wool figure as the main fabrics used for clothes. Since wool looked too heavy for a tunic like this, I went with linen. You'll be able to draw anything as long as you know what it is and how it behaves.

Now we can begin the fun part. Observe your references and focus on the main features of your fabric: linen is a light fabric, but it is also pretty strong for its weight, which makes it very durable and slightly stiff looking. Googling "linen fabric characteristics" got me this result. I'm pretty sure this can be done with any fabric type.

Now that we know this, we can start sketching. Our design has two points of contact with the character's body: one is her shoulder, and the other one is a waistband (possibly a belt of some sort). Start by marking those two points in your doll and then add the hem of the skirt. Since she's sitting, the back part will curve backwards because the waistband goes up on her back and down on her front (see the arrows on step 2). The fabric on top of her thighs will fold near the crotch/hip area because the body is fully bent there.

Be creative when drawing your folds: think of how they may wrap around the body underneath and also each other. Linen does fold, but it is not silk, so don't go too overboard with the creases. I added some extra details like having some of the fabric hanging down from the edge of the seat, or a hanging fold from the front piece of her dress hanging between her legs. You can also make the fabric twist and bend over itself as you can see next to her thigh. Look for references of skirts with a similar design.

When a skirt or dress is made of a long piece of cloth, so long that it lets a lot of room around the body, it is fitted by pulling the fabric together and creating some folds that give volume to the skirt: this is called gathering. I googled "gathered linen skirt" to get some ideas, which look pretty similar to your character reference. Bear in mind that your character wouldn't have an elastic band around her waist, but it doesn't matter much since her waist will be hidden by the excess of clothing from her upper torso.

ImageImageImage

Regarding the upper body folds. Her torso goes forward and downwards, but she still has a strap over her shoulder that prevents the top from falling. This means that the shoulder will pull at the top from her right shoulder, and folds will show in a diagonal line from the top right to the bottom left. Her breasts are now a solid block, but two different shapes with a gap (cleavage) between them. This means that there will be a gap between them. How deep this goes depends on how big the woman's breasts are. But judging from this pose, you can get away with covering both with a big fold like I did.

I think this covers clothes for now, although I'll be glad to help you if you have any questions or doubts. For toes, I think the main idea is to break down the front of the feet in two groups: the big toe by itself and then the other four. Gather references of feet in that pose (take photos of yourself) and study the pose carefully. If you need some redlines, let me know and I'll help you out. I found this feet tutorial covering the very basics. Hope it helps.
Image - Image - Image
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 2,264.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby SnailorBee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 pm

[quote="Parker"][/quote]
Oh my gosh, thank you!! That was a ton of super helpful information and links. *u* That must have taken forever to write all of it, so I appreciate the time you spent on it for me. I'll be sure to use it and hopefully it comes out great with all the help. Thank you again!!
SnailorBee
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Return to Rehearsals