Cape Help?

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

BoredomIAU
Extra
Extra

Cape Help?

Post by BoredomIAU » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 pm

(Not sure if this should go here or in the Phone Booth, so feel free to correct me!)

I'm currently working on making some sprites for a (distant-)future Teen Titans fan-game, and I'm having trouble getting Robin's cape to flutter properly when he walks. This is my full image file thus far:
https://imgur.com/5Xzg2F1

And this is how he looks walking in .gif form:
https://imgur.com/qyVqc9x

Something just looks off about that cape! Any advice?
:D Hello! :D

MirandaNewMoon
Extra
Extra
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: Cape Help?

Post by MirandaNewMoon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 am

From someone that doesn't animate anything complicated, it looks to me like the sides of his cape kind of....spike downwards, if that makes sense? Like, when running in real life, it kind of flutters and flows behind, but the animation it looks more like it's jumping...like the fabric has a mind of it's own. It might be the shape, your eye really just sees the points (corners) moving downwards. I don't know if that's helpful, and I don't know what I'm looking at in the first file to actually help you improve it. The rest of the movements go really well together, I'm sure it's just a small tweak somewhere (hopefully!) and you'll get it just right! Good luck!!

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Cape Help?

Post by Artzygrrl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 am

I think it's because you're making the cape flutter "downwards" when he steps forward, but in reality, it would seem to go "upwards" as if he was walking and it was fluttering behind him. The other thing that is difficult to execute but you might consider is that the animation of the cape may not be identical to the movement of his walking. Like, you move from side to side when you're walking. Maybe make his cape flutter a little to the left when he uses his right foot and to the right when he uses his left. I hope that makes sense! This is really adorable! <3

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Rehearsals”