GUESS WHO'S BACK~

Your first stop, tell a little about yourself, show what you can do!

Moderator: AxxKat

GUESS WHO'S BACK~

Postby LoverlySue » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 am

Yeah, sorry I was gone for so long. A lot of IRL stuff has happened, and this made me fall out of basically everything for awhile. But, after a month (or two) I'm finally back babeh!

And to my commemoration of coming back to the lovely GLAM community, I'm doing a collab for November if you wanna check it out in the collabs section (and maybe join as well?).

So, all that's happened with me.....

I dropped out of school (I was held back to 10th grade, and I'm almost 18) so I can get my GED & I hope to get a job afterwards before going to college in web design/digital art. I was so worried about my mom over-reacting about me wanting to drop out, but I talked to both my grandma & great-grandma about it and we made out the plan for me to get my GED.

But then my aunt told me I was just 'being a spoiled brat' and 'over-reacting' because 'school is supposed to be about grades, not having friends'. Well, I was a loner & shy so I was depressed at school feeling like it was a prison. Also, recently I found out I have Clinical depression (which my mom has to). I do kind of see why she would say that, but she HAD one friend to keep her going. I had NO ONE. I only had 1 friend for like, 2 years out of my whole school lifespan but that's it.

But enough about that. Now, I'm trying to get my mom to set up the thing for my GED while I do my art and such.

So....How is everyone else doing?
LoverlySue
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 31.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: GUESS WHO'S BACK~

Postby Shixam » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:43 am

Hi! Welcome back!

I saw you mentioned Web Design so I'm gonna jump in with my two cents since I'm actually about to graduate with my B.S. in Communication Design next Spring (assuming all goes well), and web design is actually my emphasis.

Look VERY carefully at web design programs. Some of them won't actually teach you design. They'll typically be grouped with either the Computer Science or the Art major, in my experience. And the Computer Science ones will focus more on the back end while the Art ones will focus more on the front end. Wherever you look, make sure that you check their program's courses so that you know you'll be learning what you want. If you want to focus more on the design portion of websites, choose one that will focus on the front end, and if you want to focus more on coding and such choose one that will focus on the back end.

I highly reccommend something like the Communication Design program I'm in now. CSUMB is actually the only school that offers it as a B.S., but from how my teacher talks it sounds like other schools offer it as a B.A. The CSUMB program is really nice and well-rounded and teaches you plenty of both design and coding. So I say go here if you're able, or to a college with a similar program that's more realistic for you location- and travel-wise.

Edit: CSUMB also comes with the added bonus of real world experience. They have what they call a Capstone project, which is essentially a senior project. Most web students either redesign a website for a client or design a new website for a client. Someone from my group is doing what's called a Proof of Concept Capstone where they're making a website for one of the Business students who wants to start a site where people can buy and donate used clothes, and they're basically showing that it's doable. Visual Design students in the emphasis typically do full on branding packages: logos, banners, letterhead, business cards, anything that their client needs to help them get their business out there. The interactive design students are doing various animations. One is recreating old Monterey, another is doing a fly-through of a museum exhibit, I believe. And beyond those there's also the Service Learning requirement, which is basically taken alongside another class (which class depends on your emphasis), and those classes generally involve working on a project for an actual client as well. For example, I did mine hand-in-hand with the Web Production class, where we worked on redesigning the website for the Longtimers organization (don't search for it, there were issues getting it online and it still isn't up yet). The 227 class also does a little competition assignment where the students design logos for the Together With Love Run/Walk that's held every year by the Monterey Rape Crisis Center, and the organization then chooses which logo they want to use. So the organization gets a cool logo and the students get cool portfolio pieces. It's a nice trade-off.

Yeah, basically, CSUMB really does a lot to give its students a lot of hands on experience to get good portfolio pieces instead of just, "This is how you code a paragraph, and this is how you use Illustrator, and here are the rules of design," sort of stuff.

And I'm done plugging my school now.

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Re: GUESS WHO'S BACK~

Postby LoverlySue » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Shixam wrote:Hi! Welcome back!

I saw you mentioned Web Design so I'm gonna jump in with my two cents since I'm actually about to graduate with my B.S. in Communication Design next Spring (assuming all goes well), and web design is actually my emphasis.

Look VERY carefully at web design programs. Some of them won't actually teach you design. They'll typically be grouped with either the Computer Science or the Art major, in my experience. And the Computer Science ones will focus more on the back end while the Art ones will focus more on the front end. Wherever you look, make sure that you check their program's courses so that you know you'll be learning what you want. If you want to focus more on the design portion of websites, choose one that will focus on the front end, and if you want to focus more on coding and such choose one that will focus on the back end.

All you said sounds very helpful, and I guess learning both design & coding would be my best bet. You know, better to have learned it than not at all when a problem arises and I can't fix it. And I think coding would go with the designing aspect anyways, as I'm learning also how to make RPG games and it seems coding is the center of everything that has to do with editing/design.

Oh, and before I dropped out I went into a month of Programming (the type where you make web-based games or small web-like pages right on the computer) so I do have a teeny bit of experience from that.

Thank you for the advice, I'll keep it in mind~
LoverlySue
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 31.00

Return to Auditions