Hiya!

Your first stop, tell a little about yourself, show what you can do!

Moderator: AxxKat

Hiya!

Postby linymae » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:13 am

Hi I'm Lindsay Mae! I love the color purple and the movie Labyrinth (seriously david bowie <3). I love the moon, stars, fairies, and the victorian age. I am currently 23 with a boyfriend of 1 year next week and I'm aspiring to be an accountant.

I've been into dollmakers and pixeling since I was a teen but until recently never really tried to pixel, just crappy edits on bases for personal doll making and time wasting. I was always a fan of xandorra's but when I finally got around to finding her site I found it was down and from searching her I somehow stumbled upon Glam. I'm a little excited to be a member on here because hopefully I can improve upon my work enough to finally create my dream of a doll maker made entirely by me (lol yeah right) I have a few examples I made today based off my sisters and I in the spoiler :)

Spoiler: show
I'm interested in any critiques whether harsh or light via here or pm :D

Everything was created by me except the green leaf pattern which was created by Mirz123

ImageImageImage
linymae
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Diamonds on hand: 0.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Hiya!

Postby Gwen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Lindsay, I'm Gwen. Purple is awesome, I am also a fan of the moon and stars, and the Victorian age is indeed fascinating <3
I think your dolls are lovely so far and I hope you feel welcome here on Glam. I'd love to see more of your work!
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 126.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Postby Shixam » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Welcome to Glam, Lindsay!

Oh man, I love dollmakers. A friend and I occasionally go onto Doll Divine to create dolls of some of our OCs together. If you need help, I don't really want to officially volunteer anyone for them, but I'm pretty sure a few members around here have worked on their own before, so asking for help in the Phone Booth would probably be a great start on getting the hang of the technical aspects of making one.

As for critiques on your dolls, they're all very cute! But I did notice that they're all a bit pillow shaded. I went out and looked for some references on how to explain it exactly. Basically, it's what happens when there's no specific lightsource on the doll and all parts are shaded exactly the same. This reference from dA has a pretty good explanation, with a comparison of pillow shading vs. non-pillow shading techniques. And Breebles (Dragyn here. She's one of the admins) uploaded a great light source tutorial to dA that might be helpful as well.

But like I said, they're very cute dolls, and still WAY ahead of where I was when I started. My first doll didn't have pillow shading. It had something I think is even worse: I didn't really shade at all. I just recolored the skin of the base to match the clothes they looked super tight. And I didn't dare try making the base myself back then. I still need A LOT of practice at that.

Can't wait to see what else you make in the future! :D

My Charm Bracelet
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby linymae » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:01 am

Thank you both!

And yeah I know they're pillow shaded :/ I have only been able to find tutorials on how to make outlines and all they say is go ahead and shade they don't actually go in-depth like newbies need. Thank you for the light source tutorial, Shixam! Hopefully my next one looks a little less pillowy. And as far as the tech aspects go I did find a decent drag and drop script that I plan on using, but I would honestly love some opinions on the best type of doll maker - double click or drag and drop. I should probably make a poll somewhere XD
linymae
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Postby Shixam » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:06 pm

Ugh, yeah, I always hated dolling tutorials like that. I actually ended up giving up on using any for shading, and just using trial and error and CC from my friends because they either didn't go as in depth as I wanted.

Personally, I think drag and drop dollmakers are more fun. For some reason the action of dragging just seems natural with them. What I don't like is when I find the few dollmakers where you can drag and drop, but nothing snaps into place so need to REALLY carefully position things juuuuuuuuust right.

My Charm Bracelet
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby PunkieMunkie » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Welcome to Glam Lindsay!!! If you have any question feel free to ask.. everyone here is super nice and super helpful!!

Purple is my favorite color as well and I just adore the Labyrinth.. David Bowie is just to sexy!!!!!!

I love your dolls so far.. my fave is the last one in the black and purple dress.. the ruffles on the skirt part are fantastic.. keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Again welcome to Glam!!!
ImageImage Image

Haunted House by: mokia_sinhall, Bottle and Syringe by: theladywrath

My Doll Site, My Contest Site,
PunkieMunkie
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 3,148.00
Dolling Style: Tool
Avatar Base: http://dnya.deviantart.com

Postby linymae » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Shixam - I know it's so annoying! It's so hard to find a good shading tutorial lol I realize for now that my palette needs more colors. Basing my dolls off the tutorial you gave me is so hard with a 5 color palette.

PunkieMunkie -Thank you so much! She took the longest and is my favorite aswell. I just adorable ruffles and needed to make a pretty ruffly dress!
linymae
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Return to Auditions