Sweet Liquor

Any pixel or tooled characters, made on a base or without.

Sweet Liquor

Postby Bailey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Base

As dolls go, I'm quite proud of this one - pixel shading is definitely much stronger for me than tool - with tool they always tend to look a bit ... pillowy ...
It's interesting that even after 12 years since I started, hair is the thing I look at with both dread and excitement.

This is an entry for the Wine challenge going on here at the moment. :) It's already submitted; but I wonder for future reference how I could improve that net fascinator?
Formerly known as Sforz or Seraphor
Facebook | Website | Dollsite Pending

Base is a GLAM! Exclusive for the Fall collab.

Artzygrrl - Sister Site
Bailey
Stand-in
Stand-in

Diamonds on hand: 0.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Sweet Liquor

Postby Matdredalia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 am

Wow! Okay, let's start with the gushing and get that out of the way:

THAT.
BODICE.
OMFG.

*AHEM* Seriously, the shading work there is just through the roof. Even when I zoomed in to get a better look, the shading on the bustier is just perfection beyond words. Seeing as how I don't have an avy or sig (just got my account back, long story) you can't really tell anything about me but I've been pixeling for a little over 14 years now (half my life O_O, although I've been away for awhile), so I'm not blowing smoke. You shade semi-similar to how I *TRY* to but I can never *quite* get the shading to that perfect level where it looks like it was ripped from someone's body, bitmapped down, and thrown up on the screen, but you absolutely did. I apologize that this is so long but every time I look again to try to find something wrong, I find something more right. Your deeper shades for the curves are just right, the stitching, exactly perfect since she's stretching which would keep it taut, and even the highlights from behind to help add depth....Honestly, that's what most of us strive to get right.

Now, I know you asked specifically about the fascinator, but let me mention something else real fast, because I'm so familiar with it. Hair and I have had a love/hate relationship for as long as I've been dolling. Not long before I basically dropped off the face of the dolling-verse, I finally started to "get it." And while your hair is waaaaay better than mine has ever been, there's one little thing that stands out: I would suggest some more very highlights here and there and a bit more shadowing to help add depth. Your shaping is beautiful, your outline, gorgeous. Even your high and lolights are exactly right, but I would go a bit darker in the areas that should have shadow, like behind that strand curling against her face on the right side. Just a bit darker and I feel it would add a ton more depth.

And finally *drumroll* for the fascinator, in my experience, whenever I did something like that, it always looked better without an outline. I can't say for sure because I've never tried a fascinator, but it might look more natural that way. Although some fascinators do have a strong outline so it's hard to say. Also, maybe try doing one of the fascinators with gemstones or mini-rosettes on the mesh to help add some pizzazz to it? I know when I've done fishnet type stuff, I would do diamond shapes and leave space in them to give it a meshy feel but since fascinators are usually a different type of mesh, I don't know how well that would work.

Also, i totally get what you mean with tooling. Way back when, I stopped pixeling because I found Xandorra's dolls and thought her way was the "right" way to Rick Astley, and took up tool shading for about 6-8 months?.....Then I saw artists like If Looks Could Kill (Blood-Cocoa, RadiUhOh), Shouri, and so on, and went "Oh, oh no.....pixeling is where it's at. XD"

Again, love her. <3 Wonderful job1
Matdredalia
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Diamonds on hand: 53.00

Postby Matdredalia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:24 am

Wow! Okay, let's start with the gushing and get that out of the way:

THAT.
BODICE.
OMFG.

*AHEM* Seriously, the shading work there is just through the roof. Even when I zoomed in to get a better look, the shading on the bustier is just perfection beyond words. Seeing as how I don't have an avy or sig (just got my account back, long story) you can't really tell anything about me but I've been pixeling for a little over 14 years now (half my life O_O, although I've been away for awhile), so I'm not blowing smoke. You shade semi-similar to how I *TRY* to but I can never *quite* get the shading to that perfect level where it looks like it was ripped from someone's body, bitmapped down, and thrown up on the screen, but you absolutely did. I apologize that this is so long but every time I look again to try to find something wrong, I find something more right. Your deeper shades for the curves are just right, the stitching, exactly perfect since she's stretching which would keep it taut, and even the highlights from behind to help add depth....Honestly, that's what most of us strive to get right.

Now, I know you asked specifically about the fascinator, but let me mention something else real fast, because I'm so familiar with it. Hair and I have had a love/hate relationship for as long as I've been dolling. Not long before I basically dropped off the face of the dolling-verse, I finally started to "get it." And while your hair is waaaaay better than mine has ever been, there's one little thing that stands out: I would suggest some more very highlights here and there and a bit more shadowing to help add depth. Your shaping is beautiful, your outline, gorgeous. Even your high and lolights are exactly right, but I would go a bit darker in the areas that should have shadow, like behind that strand curling against her face on the right side. Just a bit darker and I feel it would add a ton more depth.

And finally *drumroll* for the fascinator, in my experience, whenever I did something like that, it always looked better without an outline. I can't say for sure because I've never tried a fascinator, but it might look more natural that way. Although some fascinators do have a strong outline so it's hard to say. Also, maybe try doing one of the fascinators with gemstones or mini-rosettes on the mesh to help add some pizzazz to it? I know when I've done fishnet type stuff, I would do diamond shapes and leave space in them to give it a meshy feel but since fascinators are usually a different type of mesh, I don't know how well that would work.

Also, i totally get what you mean with tooling. Way back when, I stopped pixeling because I found Xandorra's dolls and thought her way was the "right" way to Rick Astley, and took up tool shading for about 6-8 months?.....Then I saw artists like If Looks Could Kill (Blood-Cocoa, RadiUhOh), Shouri, and so on, and went "Oh, oh no.....pixeling is where it's at. XD"

Again, love her. <3 Wonderful job1
Matdredalia
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Diamonds on hand: 53.00

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:55 am

What a lovely reply :) Thank-you!
I'd like to Rick Astley more this year and pleased to know I haven't lost it haha!

I might put this as my avi soon ... and when I do, I'll have a look at the hair shadowing - you're right, it seems a little flat to me now I'm not staring at it for hrs in paint!
I think I might just have to experiment with the fascinator. I'd have liked to have got some fabric folds in there too ... I'll have a play.
Formerly known as Sforz or Seraphor
Facebook | Website | Dollsite Pending

Base is a GLAM! Exclusive for the Fall collab.

Artzygrrl - Sister Site
Bailey
Stand-in
Stand-in

Diamonds on hand: 0.00

Return to Dolls