Posting a WIP! :)

Only members on Team Two can view and post here!
Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell
Avatar Base: Immaculate Conception

Posting a WIP! :)

Post by Hollay » Wed May 06, 2009 8:27 pm

[align=center]Image

Updated!
[/align]

So, I got SeS for my redoll, and at first, I was a little in shock, since it was a lot of things I don't usually like to mess with. She has this bright purple corset, stripey stockings, and one wild updo. But, I thought she was a really cool concept, and I figured it would be fun to try some things I don't usually do.

I've changed quite a few things so far like the corset's design, a tighter shirt, and made the stockings into stripey fishnets, as well as made the mirror (ahem, TRIED!) shattered. I REALLY need CC on the glass, since to me it's either too dark or just.. the spiderweb cracks in it are all wrong. I'll be putting a reflection later, was just trying to get the framework down first! Let me know what you think, if she's too detailed.. needs more.. etc etc!
OH! also, I was thinking of using the braid from the original to create a big swoop towards the mirror which would be the thing breaking it.. maybe spikes on the hairband at the bottom or something! The little triangle thing might become an earring. D:

Thanks for looking, and I'd appreciate help/cc, etc! First base is my own. Original doll's base by DHF
Last edited by Hollay on Thu May 07, 2009 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lazzi
Super star
Super star

Post by Lazzi » Wed May 06, 2009 8:59 pm

You know, I'm kind of partial to the idea of the mirror breaking symbolically and your doll being a sort of shattered flipside image of the original . . . in other words, the glass doesn't have to be shattered by a specific thing. But that's totally a personal interpretation/preference . . . er, thingy. :mrgreen:

As for the glass . . . I've never drawn shattered glass before (and I hope I never have to, because EGAD!) . . . but I think most glass cracks outwards from a single point (especially if you do want to go with having the braid break the glass) . . . which is what you've done, however I think the "point of impact" needs to be smaller and more singular rather than a round nest of small cracks in the middle. Sorta kinda like this. (Image After has a few good broken glass images, BTW). I think you have the right idea . . . all you need to do is scale back on the number of cracks (which will make putting the reflection in there easier), and add a few circular cracks (says the person who has never drawn broken glass before).

Is the purple triangle by her head a flying glass shard? Are you going to have the mirror exploding outwards? Because that has potential to be very, very cool.

One last note: you might have an easier time with the mirror if you make it larger.

As for the rest of the outfit, I like how it's coming along. I think you're remaining true to the original doll while simultaneously making her Hollayesque. (Hollayishesnessity?!) I'm loving the detail on the corset. I like the hair too, but I think you could push it a bit more in terms of height and/or volume. It doesn't have to be all rococo powdered wig crazy (or even as foofy as the original doll), but I think there's a great opportunity for an awesome freaky hairdo here, so why not go for it?

Aaaaaand thus concludes my epic. :mrgreen:

Av by FilthyGorguz, MIA :( || Awesotastic sig by Isobel
My DA account || The Limelight Cafe

Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Post by Hollay » Wed May 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks a -ton- for the help. :D It was very thorough, and it really was just well thought out.

I was actually going to put the glass shards either by her feet or exploding outwards, I just hadn't really decided which would work better with the finished piece. Your CC on the glass as well as the references you gave me were -awesome-, and I think I can definitely use them to make everything look moar realistic! (PS: My mayun is making machine gun sounds at me from typing so fast, thought you should know. XD)

The hair is definitely up for some change, I can make it a lot bigger and poofier, and I'll probably experiment with the braid SeS had in the original to make the hair a little more over the top and INYAHFACE.

The triangle by her head was kind of a concept of some earrings, something almost steampunk or sci-fi looking, since I moderned her up so much from the original. :)

Thanks again! <3 :D

Lazzi
Super star
Super star

Post by Lazzi » Wed May 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Well, if you need references for exploding mirrors, you can use music videos from the 80s for references. There were a lot of exploding mirrors in music videos in the 80s for some reason. :lol:

I'm trying to think of pixeled mirrors I've seen in the past, and if my memory serves (which it usually doesn't . . . .) they do tend to be a bit brighter . . . that will come once you start shading, I assume. I think the mirrors that impressed me usually had light blue/cyan hues in the highlights.

One last thing: I think leaving out a crown is a good idea, as it wouldn't really mesh with the wardrobe, but perhaps something small and subtle, like a golden barrette or something?

Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Post by Hollay » Thu May 07, 2009 12:11 am

Awesome idea with the crown! :) I think I could probably weasel in a bracelet or a tattoo or something with the crown and those flowers mixed in with it. :)

Also, I -totally- got that 'takkkkkkkke oooooooooooon meeeeeee!' in my head when you mentioned 80s music videos. D:

Lazzi
Super star
Super star

Post by Lazzi » Thu May 07, 2009 12:24 am

Also, I -totally- got that 'takkkkkkkke oooooooooooon meeeeeee!' in my head when you mentioned 80s music videos.
I am so, so, so sorry. :shock: :lol:

Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Post by Hollay » Thu May 07, 2009 5:02 am

[align=center]Image[/align]

Tried a new spin on the mirror, adding one big crack instead of the wacky spiderweb effect. I've also shaded her, and am just looking for shading/details CC! :) Also, should she have a hammer or something? Or is the broken glass enough? D:

grafiketgrafok
Supporting Role
Supporting Role
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by grafiketgrafok » Thu May 07, 2009 8:00 am

WOw awesome crack! :) I guess the hammer is not necessary but it depends on how you feel about it. Personnaly I feel like I don't need precise explanations about how the mirror got cracked. And you did put the earrings! You were right! :D

Awesome redoll!
Céline
Image Image - MY DEVIANTART
ImageImageImageImage
base - base AV
[url=http://http:a//nimbo.net/quiz/houses.html]Image[/url]

Chocotini
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by Chocotini » Thu May 07, 2009 10:39 am

This new mirror definitely looks much better. It's a lot more readable. I'm really digging the subtle reflection in it too. Maybe this is more of a personal preference, but I think you should up the contrast in her skintone just a teeny weeny bit. The shades in her skintone look a little flushed out when compared to the darker shades you have going on the rest of the doll. It'll make the whole piece a little more uniform. :D

But yeah, loving what you have done. Damn, girl, you work faaast!

Everybodys.Fangirl
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by Everybodys.Fangirl » Thu May 07, 2009 11:12 am

Wow. So far so brilliant. Quick thought, since there is a crown in the original, why not use that for what broke the mirror? Instead of it being on her head.

Ps - One day i've love to go through your head, the things you come up with are brilliant. :P
ImageImage

-Avatar and Tablet made by FG <3-Harlot made by the lovely Juno!-
-Sig Base-Avatar Base-My DeviantART-
Anoki is mine. End of story.

Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Post by Hollay » Thu May 07, 2009 2:51 pm

I took choco's advice and put a few more darker and lighter tones to the skin so it'd show up a bit more. :) If you think it's still too soft, lemme know!

[align=center]Image[/align]

Kitsune
Super star
Super star
AKA: Legen...wait for it...dary!
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by Kitsune » Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 pm

I actually think it looks really good the way you have it. The glass shards look really nice and the mirror looks awesome. you've done a great job.
Like my sig? Get one at my shop!

AV by Kali_Sedai/Sig base site down.

Return to “Team Two”