WIP... Help meh?

Only members on Team Two can view and post here!
Lucifer
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

WIP... Help meh?

Post by Lucifer » Thu May 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Aah, I'm so excited to have gotten Aceldama as my remakee; she happens to be one of my favourite dollers ^_^
I am however slightly worried that I won't be able to do the original justice... and now I've gotten slightly stuck.

I chose this doll to remake:

When I started the remake I didn't really know what I wanted to change and just went with the flow and ended up with a black & white version of the original (which probably wasn't the best idea because b&w tends to be the hardest to shade... XD).
So then I was going to have it sort of magpie-ish with a coloured sheen to the wings and turning the feathered heart-prop-thing into something shiny.
Theeen I decided I wanted to stick with the angel of justice theme and give her some hanging scales in her left (our right) hand, maybe with the feathery thing in one of the plates of the scale (I don't even know what they should be called... pans? bowls? eh..).
So now I'm unsure which idea would work better.. and I'm not even sure if the black and white is working. Her hands seem to be getting lost in the rest of the black and I'm worried it's all going to look too plain... does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for the essay, here's my doll so far:
Base

Sooo, any help/advice would be lovely :) But for now I'm off to bed before I get a headache from staring at teeny tiny pixels for too long, lol.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Ok, done a bit more, and this is what I've got so far:
I'm still not completely happy with her jacket, and I'm not sure about having the heart on a string type thing - I might end up leaving that pat out.
Last edited by Lucifer on Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Av Base by Hollay ^_^

Everybodys.Fangirl
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by Everybodys.Fangirl » Thu May 07, 2009 6:27 pm

So far you've done a really nice job :D. I can't seem to get past how beautiful the wings are. As far as ideas about how to make the hands different, possibly twist something around them? Much like in the original the hands were holding something, why to blend that in someway...that way the hands don't get lost.
ImageImage

-Avatar and Tablet made by FG <3-Harlot made by the lovely Juno!-
-Sig Base-Avatar Base-My DeviantART-
Anoki is mine. End of story.

Lazzi
Super star
Super star

Post by Lazzi » Fri May 08, 2009 1:37 am

Wow, I lurve me those wings! How long did it take you to do those?! :shock:

If you're worried about your doll being too black and white, you could take your colour cue from those wings and saturate the colours a little more . . . and then temper your blacks and whites with blue/purple/green hues. You've already started this with the blue hair, so . . . yes. Try a little more saturation. I like how this is going to be a "cool" version of the original doll, which is shaded in warm brown & cream hues.

Love the idea to stick with lady justice . . . the blindfold is a really nice touch. If you want to add something shiny, you could work in a sword somewhere on the doll, as lady justice is often seen with a sword.

I really like the direction the stockings/boots (can't really tell if it's one or the other at this point! :oops: ) are going in . . . my only suggestion in terms of clothing design is to mix up the jacket a little from the original. Maybe give it laces across the front instead of buttons? I'm sure you have that in mind already . . . sorry if I'm getting ahead of you!

I can already tell this doll is going to be fanfreakintastic . . . can't wait to see the final product!

Av by FilthyGorguz, MIA :( || Awesotastic sig by Isobel
My DA account || The Limelight Cafe

Lucifer
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by Lucifer » Sat May 09, 2009 6:51 am

Thank you for your comments! Yeah the wings probably did take the longest... I don't make feathery wings (or wings of any sort, for that matter...) very often, so it took a while to work out how to make them, lol. I think it's improved from my last try, hehe.

I think I'll twist a chain or something around the hand holding the scales, that's a good idea Everybody's Fangirl, thanks :)
I was planning on changing the jacket but I hadn't quite figured out how. I really like the laces idea though, I might try it out :)
Av Base by Hollay ^_^

Lucifer
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by Lucifer » Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 am

Ok, I've added some more to my doll and edited the first post with it. Any more CC would be great! As harsh as you like; I really want to make it perfect ^_^
Av Base by Hollay ^_^

Lazzi
Super star
Super star

Post by Lazzi » Thu May 14, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm really liking how this is progressing. I think the jacket is going to look great, and I have to tell you I LURVE those boots (like, to the point of wanting a pair for myself!)

As for details, I can't nit, because they're looking pretty good. The only thing I think you could keep in mind is striking a balance between paying tribute to Aceldama's doll and still infusing it with the Essence of Lucifer. I think your doll could use a little more Essence of Lucifer. I don't think you would have to change too much . . . changing the scales so they look a bit different would probably do it. Just a small thing like that.

I hate giving such unspecific advice . . . I hope it doesn't cause too much consternation! :oops:

Av by FilthyGorguz, MIA :( || Awesotastic sig by Isobel
My DA account || The Limelight Cafe

HikariJade
Supporting Role
Supporting Role
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by HikariJade » Mon May 18, 2009 4:29 am

Maybe it's just my screen, but I think you should up the contrast in your white pallete. It looks a bit strange compared to the rest of the doll. ^^"

Other than that, it's looking great so far. I really like the wings especially. =3
Maybe you could add more detail to the jacket if you're not happy with it yet? Like seams up the sides or buttons on the end of the sleeves.

Hope I could help a little =D
Av base

I'm not a very active doller... 8C

Polly Juice
Celebrity
Celebrity
AKA: Media Magician
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: http://www.pixel-glam.com/

Post by Polly Juice » Sat May 23, 2009 5:44 am

I'd like to see a different colour on the gloves. Yes, I know, they're black in the original, but it's hard to see! Perhaps a slate grey or some other medium-dark colour, so we can see the nice details?

Return to “Team Two”