Need Some Tooling Tutorials

Call in for a little help!

Need Some Tooling Tutorials

Postby QuinnKitty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 am

Not sure if this is the right place
but would like some tooling tutorials. Nothing real specific. Anything to help me practice and learn the ropes of it.
So hair, clothes, etc would be greatly appreciated. Even 3D objects, etc.

Thank you.
I am back from my Hiatus.

Tumblr | Twitter | DeviantArt|[Art Live-stream]
QuinnKitty
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 46.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Mirella/Keyoko

Re: Need Some Tooling Tutorials

Postby Parker » Mon May 15, 2017 2:10 pm

I know this topic is old, but since there are no new posts in this subforum, and I won't be burying anyone else's threads, I'm giving you some links to get you started. Hopefully you'll get to see them :P I've refrained from posting links to more general tutorials, but I cannot stress enough how useful digital painting tutorials are for tooling. Once you become more comfortable with your tools and program, consider watching a couple of tutorial videos on Youtube regarding art fundamentals.

There are some old sites still around that cover basic shading of different elements like hair or clothes. Most of this is old-school dolling and they pretty much share the same techniques, but they're still worth a look. Xandorra and DHF may be gone, but some of the classics are still up.

Fainelloth Dolls - Click on "Tutorials" on the left column, then pick the tutorial you want to read by clicking on its icon.
Hinia's Paradise - Similar to the previous site and DHF. Click on "Tutorials" on the left. There are only two tutorials, but they cover the very basics of classic tooled dolls: long dresses and long hair.
The Edge Dolls - Click on "Tutorials" at the top of the page, it will open a new tab on your browser with two links at the top.
Na Sever - Click on "Other", you'll see the tutorial list on the second paragraph.
An Intro to Tooling: the Tools - I made a couple of tutorials for an event here on Glam. One covered the very basic tools used for tooling. These are the ones used by most dollers, but you'll find yourself experimenting with all the tools you have once you get too comfortable with the basics. Looking back on it, I think I'll rephrase the brush "Flow" part: it is only really noticeable if you set spacing to something other than 0%. Otherwise you'll only have a line that fades slightly on the edges but keeps a perfectly opaque look on the main body. The other tutorial was a very brief walkthrough of a full doll and can be found here.

These are the very basic tutorials, most of them designed for Photoshop, but can easily be translated to most programs. I'm not done with this section yet, though. I'm leaving the best one for last, mostly because it requires a greater knowledge of the tools you can use. However, it's worth it. This is the tutorial that changed my dolling style forever, and possibly the one that made me into the doller I am today. (That seemed much more serious and not so pathetic in my head :roll:)

Pyrochan's 7-page Full Doll Tutorial - It's a full doll tutorial covering different materials, patterns and colours. It also covers some interesting topics such as using different sized brushes and sketching your dolls before you start blocking in and colouring. It's the ultimate old-school dolling tutorial. Although she's made more updated dolling tutorials, I feel that those are not as fresh and simple as this one was. You can find the new ones at her DA account: FionaCreates.
Image - Image - Image
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 2,249.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Need Some Tooling Tutorials

Postby QuinnKitty » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Thank you so much! These are extremely helpful.
I am back from my Hiatus.

Tumblr | Twitter | DeviantArt|[Art Live-stream]
QuinnKitty
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 46.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Mirella/Keyoko

Return to Phone Booth