Frog & Wumpa

For Stars to talk one on one!

Frog & Wumpa

Postby Wumpa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:29 pm

HI FROG

I'm going to soon post a doll for a collab I'm doing (New Years resolutions collab), so let's start thiiiiiiis! In the next weeks this is what will be coming:
- Said doll I just mentioned
- Doll for the contest on dA (New Years)
- WIPs for MDE (well if you don't want to comment on these I'd understand, but just know I'm no competition for you anyway... LOL)
- This "amazon" doll I sent via PM when I finally work on it again.
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 530.00
AKA: High Noon on Wumpa Mountain
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: duckie.artician.com

Postby Frog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Woot! Don't see why I shouldn't help you with MDE, it's not like we're doing the same country or anything =3
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 2,518.00
AKA: Amazingly Alliterative Amphibian

Postby Wumpa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to shade this coat. I feel like I'm going to pillowshade it.
Also, the boots, wow, they look stupid. (Well the only one I did.) I'm thinking about making it straight instead and not following the base, it'll look more natural.
I'll be adding jeans, some Winter gear like mittens and stuff, and stuff in her hands.
Base is http://felirile.deviantart.com/
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Wumpa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Something else... had to make it a wip before I kill it with fire and rocks, I can't work on it anymore because I'm too god damn pissed at how I can't get the folds right. *Wumpa rage!*

HELP. I seriously *don't know* how to shade the folds, how to shade it all. I'm completely lost. I've been zooming in at about a million dolls in the last hour to try and understand but I can't, it just won't work. Also, what do you think of the shoe? Is it weird?
This going to be a leopard-printed dress (why do I always choose the hardest stuff to make? I suck) for the dA contest for New Year. Base by Silindor.
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I had to prepare for an exam (which I passed! HOORAY!) and I've been a bit ill, so I had other things on my mind.

Well, here are my messy redlines! And yellowlines.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer. And if you're planning to make a leopard print dress, Angela has a tut for that, located here: http://idollized.zxq.net/tut_leopard.html
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Don't worry about it, no problem! Congrats on the exam, and I hope you get better soon :)

Worked on the collab doll, shaded the coat, the boots and made the jeans, here it is:

What do you think of the coat? I think maybe I should add another color to my palette, right now it kinda looks like cell shading to me... XD

I forgot - thanks so much for the tut! I think it's gonna help good :D
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 am

I think the coat looks good so far. Also, here's more FrogWisdom, featuring one of my ugly old dolls this time:

boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Followed your advices and I must say it did miracles or something like that. Look at that! Okay, not perfect, but still. It looks like JEANS!
I understand what you mean by the whole "being mechanical" thing and I never realized it before. It's true that I am mechanical when I shade and even more when I outline my stuff. Weird.

Also, here's an extra, a translation of the mysterious French in my first wip:

blue earmuffs...
pink cheeks...
blue mittens, pink scarf...
paintbrush + pencil
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Ah, so THAT'S what it means... I thought it was something more mysterious and fancy. Like a bit of dark magic or something. Oh well.

The jeans look a lot better now, but there's another problem now: they look a bit flat. There are shadows under the coat (which is a very good thing, by the way, lots of people forget to shade under clothing and that makes their dolls look really bad and unfinished), but you've got pretty much no shadows at the sides of her legs, which gives the whole thing a sort of 2d effect really. And we're actually trying to give it a 3d look with shading. So, add more shading to the sides of her legs to make it look like the legs are actually curved, not flat. And another thing, your final highlight colour is a little bit too dark. The brightest highlights are pretty much invisible right now, so you should work on that too.

But they do look better now, I'm proud of you =]
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm

About time I did something LOL I haven't worked on the two dolls I showed you yet, for the collab one I'm waiting to see if the collab is still going on because apparently it's pretty dead and I'm the only one working in it, and as for the New Years one, well I may scrap it and do something else, every time I open it I just can'T seem to do anything because I'm uninspired. XD

So this is what I started for MDE, it's my Monaco girl. Soraphine. Now I'm pretty done with the coat and shirt (even though I'll obviously take tips from you and modify it), and I can't seem to shade the pants right, so I just left it like this. What do you think of it, overall? By the way, I'm doing large, straight pants, kinda like this. Also, the boots suck, right? They just don't work with the outfit... should I make pointy boots, or just NO boots at all and something else? And the color? I wanted to go for a leather-y kinda brown, but it's kinda off because of the whole black and white outfit. Should I keep the coat's palette for the pants? I tried another kind of black but then it doesn't seem like a good outfit anymore.
When I'm done with the clothes, I'm gonna try face edits. Know any good tutorial about this? I know it's case-by-case but yeah, since I've never done it... any tips you could give me WILL help! I'm going for thinner lips, somewhat less round eyes, and I want her looking to the side and not straight forward. I also want less bushy eyebrows. And maybe other things, I don't know.

Final question: PORTRAIT. I suck at portraits, because I generally suck at big bases and since portraits are generally a zoom-in of a doll, sort of... well I never get the palette, shading, and EVERYTHING right. Do you know any *small* portrait base? I won't go baseless since I've never even made a base and it would just kill me (I feel pretty bad already after seeing everyone's wips, LOL). HALP. :D
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Wumpa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:58 am

While you're working on that face edit tut thingy of yours that apparently a lot of people will be using (grrrrr... I want this just for myself... LOL *is selfish*) I decided to start working on Slovenia and here's the result. I changed my mind about the base about a hundred times and finally I decided to use the catwalk base by Wayuki. I actually wish I used this base for Monaco because she's more stylish than Slovenia, but then again whatever, I don't care. XD

I'm not exactly sure where the folds on the bottom part of the dress should go. I know there should be some in-between the legs, on the thigh area, because it's a pretty tight dress, and I guess there would be some stretching lines coming from the knee, but I just don't know how to get them right (starting to notice a pattern here). Also, what do you think of the colors? Is the brown okay? And the leggings, are they just too white?

No comment on the hair yet, this is just an outline XD I always save hair for last so yeah.
What about accessories? I honestly have no idea what to add acc-wise. A necklace? Or will it be too packed because of the belt? Bracelets?
Last thing (wow I tend to write novels here), do you think the belt looks too "stiff"? I feel like it doesn't actually follow the waist properly...

Thanks Frog :D I really appreciate! I hope I'm not being too much of a pain in the a$$ for writing a shitton of useless stuff here LOL.

EDIT - forgot something. I know the shading on the boots is horrific, I'll re-do it later.
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Erm, yes. I think that's all. As for small portrait bases, here's one I can think of off the top of my head: http://fanga.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2tuex0
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Here's for my pillowshaded pants. Changed the shoes, not sure about them fitting together though, they don't seem like the same shoes to me? Slightly changed the palette for the white shirt. Next time is not pillowshading the pants, and making the face.
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:07 pm

boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:15 pm

ImageImage

Here are my two WIPs. I hope you don't mind me using the edits you made on my face edit for Monaco... :S
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Wumpa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

This is what I've done tonight... tried to follow your tutorial for the hair but it's actually pretty damn hard on such a small base, argh. LOL anyway this is what I got. I took brown because it's more visible to see if there are flaws with it, I think. Then I'm changing it to blonde again. I haven't added the anti-aliasing yet as I want to know if you think there are flaws with it (actually, I know there are, I just want to know what they are because I've been playing with it for an hour now and I just need rest. LOL)

I hope I'll be able to finish all my dolls in time for Jan 29...
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Wumpa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 pm

:O
Now there's obviously something wrong with the shading but I can't seem to get it right... I'm never able to get it as neat as you do :( XD like all clean and stuff. It's like my hair always gets messy, and then I f* it up even more while trying to fix it.
So what's wroooong aside from the lack of anti-aliasing and shadow on the face? (Keeping that for the end)

*is off to search for some portrait bases*
(I saved a shitton in two weeks and now I gotta choose XD)
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 am

Dear Wumpster, I LOVE THAT HAIR. Well, the top part of it at least. The shading on the bottom part could use some work, but it can easily be fixed:

And don't worry about your hair being messy, some messiness just makes it look more natural and interesting =] The rest of the doll looks quite good, but you should try adding some accessories. I'd also like you to try redoing the jacket, because it's quite lacking compared to the lovely trousers. That, and you should give her some tights.
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Sooo I think I'm done with this, I added everything I wanted to add. Any comments?
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Re: Frog & Wumpa

Postby Frog » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Aw, she's adorable =] I think the legs look a little bit flat, but other than that she looks lovely. Great job, you're improving so quickly!
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:21 pm

That little seal in your sig is awesome :D

I agree 'bout the legs, I'll change it soon. Thanks! So now here's Monaco:

Portrait base here

I'm really unsure about that necklace - the antialiasing makes it look weird and tooled to me :|
What do you think? Is her smile still creepy? And if yes, how do I fix it?! XD I had a really hard time face editing this base, 'specially, and obviously, the mouth.
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 am

Tharr. I hope that helps. I have to admit, I'm not too sure how to fix the mouth myself... >.>

I'm glad you like my little seal of approval =]
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Re: Lord Frogsley, Esq. & Wumpa

Postby Wumpa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 pm

MIRACLE! A DOLL!

It's for a palette contest. A "sunset palette". I LOVE THE DRESS. In fact I really like the doll. I just feel like it lacks something..? Any help and c/c on everything? =P

Base is Kawaii Hannah
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Postby Frog » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:52 pm

HOORAY \O/

I have to say, I really love the hair. She does need some eyebrows though >.> And some shadow under her hair would be nice. The dress is quite lovely, however, the transition from blue to pink could be smoother, as it's very abrupt now. Some brighter highlights would be nice too, but if it's not your palette then I guess you can't really do much about it. It might be a good idea to make the bottom of the dress flowier and swooshier, as it's a bit bland now. Then again, I'm a big fan of swooshy things so maybe you should ignore me. And it'd be nice if she had some shoes, like sandals or something.
boo.
Frog
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Wumpa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Hehe she's got eyebrows but they're so thin they're hidden under the dark star thingy XD I'll make 'em bigger. Or lower.

Also it's my own palette, the contest just provided 5 colors that you must use and I made my own palettes with 'em. I agree though that there's not a lot of contrast between the shades, I'll change that =P

YOU AND YOUR SWOOSH... I can't think of another design for the bottom, any ideas?
Wumpa
Super star
Super star

Next

Return to Dressing Room