Painting Practice!

Any other artwork made in a digital or traditional medium.

Moderator: Keke

Painting Practice!

Postby Lilly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:19 am

My latest painting...I've been feeling pretty depressed lately about my painting skills and felt the quality in my work declining. So I decided instead of being depressed about it that I get serious and start practicing. Not just painting pretty pictures but seriously focusing on anatomy and technique and really honing in on them. I know there are flaws, but I think overall it turned out pretty good! Now if only I can get my act together and start dolling again...that's a whole other story. :roll:

Painted freehand in Photoshop CS3.
Image Reference: http://faestock.deviantart.com/
Lilly
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 518.00
AKA: Silly Old Bird
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Painting Practice!

Postby Alsie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 pm

I really like the hair. And the eyes are so expressive.
ImageImageImageImage
Journal Page at my Shop
Alsie
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 469.00

Postby Anna Bee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:27 pm

She's gorgeous! So much better than I could do. ^_^ I guess the only C/C (I assume you'd like C/C since you're trying to improve!) is that with the angle of her head, her left eye would appear smaller than her right eye, so either the right eye should be bigger (my preference - I like big eyes!), or the left eye smaller. But holy guacamole, she looks great!! I particularly love the hair. The palette you used really gives it depth and interest.
disappearing and reappearing since 2000
Anna Bee
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 4.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://www.wayuki.nl/

Postby Lilly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Anna Bee wrote:She's gorgeous! So much better than I could do. ^_^ I guess the only C/C (I assume you'd like C/C since you're trying to improve!) is that with the angle of her head, her left eye would appear smaller than her right eye, so either the right eye should be bigger (my preference - I like big eyes!), or the left eye smaller. But holy guacamole, she looks great!! I particularly love the hair. The palette you used really gives it depth and interest.

HI, Anna Bee! I have absolutely no problem with CC! I'm so glad you did, because there were some knit-picky things that were bothering me that I just couldn't see for the life of me. I would've preferred her to have bigger eyes too, I love big eyes, but for some reason I had a dickens of a time getting them the right shape. XD I'm glad you like the palette! I'm trying something new with the colors, it was fuuun. :D Thanks for the CC! I really appreciate it.
Lilly
Super star
Super star

Postby mochikun » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

I like your adventurous take on colour in the hair :D I can't really tell if you're using a tablet or mouse or not. In any case, well done!

If you don't mind some CC, I'm just going to point out some minor things. I going to assume that the light source is from the right side, since that's what it generally looks like. The light tone on the nose suggest that the light comes from the front, tho. The bulk of the nose generally receives the most shine, but you've put it on the side of the nose and it makes me kind of confused where the light source is supposed to be lol. The painting is a tad outline-y; not sure if that's what you're going for... if it is, then ignore me haha.

Other than that, great job! I always try (and fail a lot OTL) to turn my despair at my skills into motivation to improve them. I can see your efforts have helped you succeed :>
mochikun
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 597.00

Postby Lilly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 am

mochikun wrote:I like your adventurous take on colour in the hair :D I can't really tell if you're using a tablet or mouse or not. In any case, well done!

If you don't mind some CC, I'm just going to point out some minor things. I going to assume that the light source is from the right side, since that's what it generally looks like. The light tone on the nose suggest that the light comes from the front, tho. The bulk of the nose generally receives the most shine, but you've put it on the side of the nose and it makes me kind of confused where the light source is supposed to be lol. The painting is a tad outline-y; not sure if that's what you're going for... if it is, then ignore me haha.

Other than that, great job! I always try (and fail a lot OTL) to turn my despair at my skills into motivation to improve them. I can see your efforts have helped you succeed :>

Wonderful CC, so thoughtful, and helpful. It's funny regarding lightsource, I'm generally fairly good at figuring out the direction and placement of the light on the face, but for some reason even though I was referencing from a photograph, I seem to have gotten a bit carried away this time. It didn't even occur to me until you pointed that out. I'll be more careful next time. The outline-y thing you mentioned...yeah...I'm trying to avoid outlines, it's like a default of mine, a trait that a lot of my earlier works seemed to have inherited. I'm trying to avoid that, and making the choice to eliminate outlines all together. I suppose that it does look outline-y here. Eep. I'm rather annoyed at how sharp the outline looks, I'd love to just be able to avoid the outlines all together but it's tough to get rid of old, bad habits. LOL. :lol:

Very good CC, thank you for taking the time to give me feedback I appreciate it! *hug*
Lilly
Super star
Super star

Postby mochikun » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Outlines aren't always bad tho!! (Well I'm a big fan of cartoons and flat styles so I guess it's not applicable to this lol) The most important thing to eliminating outlines when painting is hard edges and contrasting values, I think. Take the nose, for example. If you made a big enough distinction between the value on the nose and the face under it, then the outline wouldn't be necessary. So say the value on the edge of the nose was light, and the value of the face underneath was dark, then you wouldn't need an outline.

Sorry for being meddlesome and/or overly helpful lol
mochikun
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 597.00

Postby Lilly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Naw, you're not being meddlesome! You're quite insightful, and make absolute sense to me! I appreciate what you said, and will take it to heart next time. Thanks a lot. <3
Lilly
Super star
Super star

Return to Digital and Traditional Art