CLOSED: Let's Make a Base Set!

Time or subject based training

CLOSED: Let's Make a Base Set!

Postby aerieyena » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:29 pm

ABOUT THE LESSON
I will be teaching basic base set making skills.
I will give an overview of my base making process and help trainees use my process to make their own base sets. I will provide CC, redlines, and general tips along the way as needed.

If you would like to participate you must PM me to apply. You do not need to have base making experience, but you must have a basic grasp of anatomy. When you apply, please tell me about the base set you would like to make (size, style, poses) and provide me with any bases you have made and/or dolls with major base edits if you have any. I will accept three trainees.

The lessons will start when all slots are taken or on May 8th. It will end when all thee trainees have finished their bases.
I will be online *most* nights, but will very likely take off May 2nd to 7th to study for and take my finals.

STUDENTS
Marleaux
Shixam
Nysari

ANNOUNCEMENTS
April 29: TONIGHT I HAVE STARTED STUDYING FOR FINALS. MY LAST FINAL IS ON MAY 6TH (MY BIRTHDAY WOO HOO). I WILL BE GONE TILL THEN UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE.

April 24: We're full!
Last edited by aerieyena on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I own Atton Rand from KoTOR 2, Boy Blue from Fables, and Joker from Mass Effect. NO TOUCHY.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 1,233.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby aerieyena » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello ladies and welcome to our first lesson!

To start out we'll be doing a rough sketch, like so...

With the pencil tool, draw a rough sketch of your base using basic shapes; circles, ovals, triangles, etc. I like to do this in one of the bright default colors.
We're going to start with the head, torso, and legs (we will make other leg poses later). Arms are the last step in my process, just remember to leave room for them.

If you're doing a forward facing/full on base set, it helps to use the line tool to make a straight line down the canvas. Sketch on top of this line so you can keep an idea of where the center is. This will make the next step easier.
Just a side note: if this is your first base set I suggest you do a full on base. It's easier as you can mirror.

When you sketch, try and visualize how you want the base to look in the end. Make sure the poses you want will work with the torso you've drawn as we won't be making more than a single torso (this is just a basic lesson, after all).

Once you've finished your sketch, post it here. If you have any questions, just ask! :D
I own Atton Rand from KoTOR 2, Boy Blue from Fables, and Joker from Mass Effect. NO TOUCHY.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Marleaux » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:55 pm

<<
My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 4,253.00
AKA: Marly Oh-Oh-O's

Postby Nysari » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm a really really sloppy sketcher, so I ended up going back over. x:

EDIT: The image would help! :D
Nysari
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 152.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby aerieyena » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Nysari, very nice, I love the long legs!

Marly, that's a great start. :)
In your PM you said you wanted to make a semi-realistic base. Right now it's got that anime chibi look going on. To make it more realistic you should either increase the body size or decrease the the head size. And the feet pointing at an angle looks odd, try having them face forward.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Shixam » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:14 am

XP Sorry I'm already behind. I went out to a concert tonight and just got home. I promise I'll have something to show tomorrow.

EDIT: =D Got it:

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby aerieyena » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Looks good so far, ladies!

Marleaux: Yours looks good so far, the only real issue is the feet. They're both pointed to the side like you'd see in a 3/4 base. It's kind of hard to define feet in a full on base, but don't be scared to give it a shot!

Nysari: Very nice! The proportions are great and I can definitely see a distinct style forming. My only CC is her left leg (our right) looks a little bent at the calf.

Shixam: Ooh, someone got adventurous with their leg poses! It looks good to start, but the hips look pretty thin, I think you should widen them by a couple of pixels.

Now on the the next step! We're going to line our drafts.
If you use a program with layers, start a new layer. If you work in MS Paint like I do, line on top of your draft in a different color. I like to lighten my original draft and then trace over in the color I originally drew the draft in.

Shixam and Marly, you guys will be able to mirror your lines (excluding the legs), so you have a little less work ahead of you.

When you line, pay special attention to the crotch/hip area and the shoulders as we will be attaching different arm and leg poses later on. It may help to have the torso and head in a darker color, I don't generally do this, but it can help you see where the hips end (where the joint is) and where to attach different leg poses later on.

After you've finished lining, erase the sketch. At this point I like to tweak my lines and add details in a lighter color. I also draw the face.

From this point on, I'll be using a base I'm working on for reference in these lessons.
So, once you're done with this step, your base should look something like this...

ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Nysari » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:17 pm

I always seem to love my sketch, then I hate my lineart. :p I can't seem to figure out how to fix the right (her left) foot...

EDIT: I made a few changes. After a long search, I found a leg and foot posed at almost the same angle as mine, and tried to reference it...

I also took a picture of my own pudgy legs in high heels and realized from it that she needed a bigger bootay. <3
Last edited by Nysari on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nysari
Cast
Cast

Postby Shixam » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 pm

First, it changed in my first post too because of freewebs....XD
Second, I will be the first to admit I suck at face XP
And third, =) purple for Marly.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby Marleaux » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Daww ILU SHIX XD

Copied your shading "style" for the face.
My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Postby aerieyena » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Okay guys, since this is such an important step, we're gunna stay on it for just a little while longer. Make sure your lines are peeeeeerfect!

Nysari, yours is great over all. My only comments are that her waist seems a little bit too thin (unless that's the shape you're going for).

Shixam, your head is a bit long. You want to leave room for a forehead. Make sure your face is symmetrical and lower the features. Also, her chest looks a little large, I think it would look better if you moved the breasts down and in by one pixel each.

Marly, because you're doing a 3/4 view, the crotch shouldn't look like it's facing forward, look at the base I'm working on or at Nysari's. Make sure your face is symmetrical. You should also try lowering the eyes and nose by one pixel and thickening the lips. And don't forget the eyebrows or belly button!

So, everyone, take some time to tweak your lines and get them where you're really, REALLY happy with them. If you see something you don't like later on, it'll be harder to fix it.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Shixam » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 pm

How's that?

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby aerieyena » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 am

Much better! :D
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Marleaux » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 pm

Popped on, haven't worked on mine, sorry :P I've been in class but I'll see if I can manage later today.
My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Postby Nysari » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Hm... I did want her to have a really tiny waist, but it doesn't seem to look right. It kinda looks more poorly drawn than it does sylized. :( I changed it a bit to look a little bit more tucked. I think maybe that helps a little...

I think I may play with some different heads, though. Something more fun. :P

EDIT: Because I so have no life when I'm not at work...

I ended up scrapping the cinched waist. Maybe in an ultra stylized base, it'd have looked cute. But I seem to be leaning toward a long legged semi realism. :/ I also tried out a new head... and ended up liking it so much that I had some fun playing with facial expressions. xD I've never done alternate expressions before, so I hope it's not -too- premature to have made them already.
Nysari
Cast
Cast

Postby Marleaux » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:41 pm

I left yours up for color coordination cause our differing colors kept confusin me =O
My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Postby aerieyena » Sun May 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Okay, guys, I left an announcement up in the first post, but I wanted to make sure that everyone got it and knew that I'd be gone. So, I'll be gone for a few days for my finals.

While I'm away, continue tweaking your bases if there's anything left that you think needs to be fixed. Feel free to CC each others progress. If you're totally happy with what you have now, our next step will be further leg poses. Why don't you start thinking about what leg poses you'd like to have?

When I'm back I'll comment on ya'lls progress and write up the next step in full detail.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Marleaux » Sun May 02, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm thinking about changing my feet. They're ugly.
My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Postby Nysari » Sun May 02, 2010 2:50 pm

I wanted to see if I could help you out with the feet, Marly... Dunno if it really looks better this way or not, but I made them a little bigger, added some toes, and altered the angles to add some interest~ Just for some ideas. :P Though you can certainly use them if you'd like.

Nysari
Cast
Cast

Postby Marleaux » Sun May 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Ohh thank you ^_^
My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Postby aerieyena » Thu May 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for waiting, and it's so nice to see ya'll helping each other out!
If everyone's ready, we're going to move on.

So, now we're going to work on leg poses!
We're going to take our body that we've drawn and remove the legs. If you did the torso in a darker color, removing the legs should be super duper easy. When you remove the legs, remember to keep the crotch!

So make a copy of your base and paste it, remove the legs so you have just the torso left and just do a rough sketch of the leg pose you want. Once you have sketches of the leg poses you want, outline them like we did before.

I like to draw the legs in a different color than I have the base body, but if you use layers you can just make a new layer.

When you work on your alternate leg poses it makes everything a looooot easier if you keep your first leg pose nearby for reference.You want to make sure that your alternate poses are the same length and width as your original set.

If you don't reference your original set, you might end up with longer calves or fatter thighs than you started with. Width is an easy fix, but length is a little more annoying.

If you need any help along the way, feel free to post it!
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Shixam » Fri May 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Not really ready for showing off, but that last pose is really giving me trouble XP I'm not done, clearly, but I can't seem to get anything right with it and it's kinda frustrating.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby aerieyena » Sat May 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Shixam, when we started we used basic shapes to make the body. I didn't do that for the example for this lesson because I'm more comfortable with just sketching the legs, but it may be easier for you if you use ovals for the legs and then refine the sketch. If that doesn't help any, I'll give you some redlines. :)
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Postby Nysari » Sun May 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Ohalp, I've gone crazy. I can't quite get the last one right, and any fixes on the other poses would be appreciated. A lot of this is copy/paste... I only have 3 unique feet in the whole set...

I want to do a few more leg poses, but I'm not sure if I'll just screw myself over when it comes time to shade. I'd like to think it wouldn't be too much to handle since the shading on the torso can be pretty much copy/pasted...

Edit: A few small changes...
Am I right to assume that the shading on the hip bone in the sitting pose would sit above the tops of the legs, and that the legs would arc over beneath it? It seems like it looks strange, but I know the top of the pelvis sits a good bit above the top of the femur, so I don't know. :(
Nysari
Cast
Cast

Postby Marleaux » Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 am

My spawn
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend