Done: Prop tropical mini island [workshop over]

Time or subject based training

Postby Daenerys » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:11 am

The leaves look sweet! Especially bunched together, comes out so well :)

As for trunk: I think the lightest one would go well. Or maybe the second lightest one. (You could always make two trees...)

I really think this is going well :) Yours is going to look awesome.
Image Image
Five and Dae :: PixiStar Base Search :: The Sims Random Stories :: Daenelia's Ramblings
:: To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit ::
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 953.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I'll get mine done soon. I had orientation for college today, so I didn't even get a chance to look at it yet.
Av Base l Signature by me l My Deviantart
Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 3,070.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby Daenerys » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:11 am

That's okay. I'll be out for most of the day, and I think I'll put up part 3 either late tonight (in 12-15 hours). Unless we're home really late, in which case it will be up tomorrow :)

(It has been very warm and sunny, it is my vacation and we are actually going to the beach today! Yay! I'll do some in-depth study of actual sand before starting on the island! :P)
Image Image
Five and Dae :: PixiStar Base Search :: The Sims Random Stories :: Daenelia's Ramblings
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 pm

I redrew my island to give it more perspective. It's the same idea, but smaller.

With just trees:

With everything:

Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Daenerys » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 am

I like it, and with the perspective it looks great. Gives it more character. It's becoming a story.

I also think you're going for a very nice style. I think I don't need to give you any cc, but I'll give you some of my thoughts. Not meant for you to change what you are doing now, because you do seem to have a clear idea of where you are headed with the picture :)

The trees are static. I think that's because the trunks are straight and identical. You could think about making at least one tree trunk a little bit different, maybe use one of the other lighter colours for one of the trees in the front. It will give some variety and maybe even more depth. If you really want to go for it, you could try to make one trunk very different, in angle or size. Maybe even height! It would make more sense with the plane, if one of the trees was a little higher or shorter, maybe.

Just things to consider, because: wow! I already like your island so much more than my own! :D
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Daenerys » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:00 am

Part 3

In case you'd like to get further, I have just tackled the sandy island. Of course, you could also have a rocky, cliffy island... But that's up to you. Here is my current WIP image:

Sand is weird. It is different when it is wet: it becomes more compact and darker of colour. Which is why it makes sense to make the sand closer to the water a darker colour. That is the kind of sand that acts more like clay: you can build sand castles with it. So any features in the sand are firmer. At the same time, as water rushes over it, any features will be smoothed out. The way a sand castle will break, if flood comes.

Dry sand is lighter of colour. And very, very loose. *is reminded of how difficult dry sand is to walk in* It is not possible to build anything out of it. But wind might move heaps of sand together, like sand dunes. Looking for some images of sand dunes for reference might be a good idea. The play if light and dark on sand is fascinating.

Also not, for when you put the tree and the Rick Astley on the island, that the sand might behave in a certain way around them. The Rick Astley may have her feet covered in sand. The tree could have collected a little sand dune of its own, at the base.

Assignment 3

1. Make a general shape of the island. For my simple example I made a circle and erased the bottom bit. But for more elaborate designs: this is where you start making your one pixel outline. As with the rest of the building bits: make it separate, so you can reuse it if you need to.

2. Experiment with filling the island with sand. In my example I also used the add noise option, to see what could come of that. You can also AA or dither to get nice smooth transitions between shading colours.

3. Try to really indicate the two different types of sand on your island. Even if you decide to go with a plainer island with less shading, it will be good practice.

I'll comment when I see something! For those who are a little behind: don't worry, just post when you need feedback, at any point. Also feel free to give feedback to others, including me!

:)

Side note: trip to the beach
I did go to the beach yesterday. It has been really good summer weather for about 5 days now. When we set off, it was sunny, bright, warm: perfect! Lots of people gathered at the train station were dressed for the beach: sandals, flipflops, shorts, summer dresses, towels...

When we got off the train, literally the second we got on the platform, the weather changed. Rain fell. Clouds swooped in. Wind blew. We walked along the beach, watching kids play football while shivering. Brave souls swimming in a cold North Sea. People huddled in towels wrapped around them.

We managed to stay for 2 hours. Then headed back, just as the rain REALLY started to pour.

When we got back home... it took 15 minutes before the sun decided to come out and greet us. We had a lovely warm and sunny evening, at home. On the balcony. Go figure.
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Daenerys » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:27 am

OMG Lola :D That looks so cool!

This is really getting more complex than I had in mind. But with such excellent dollers signing up, I should have known better :P

I really like what you did with the sand, and the footprints in it. The change in colour is wonderful, very realistic, and I think it will look great with water around it. I also think the little backstory is nice (maybe the stranded pilot can be rescued by her yacht and a romance can ensue :P)

As for the water, leading to the boat. I actually think it looks okay as it is, and am trying hard to think of alternatives that might work better. One thing that comes to mind is that because the walkway is straight, the water line next to it could be straight. Or, but this would be more work: extend the top edge of the water to the horizon. The boat can be just below the horizon line.

Another option is to simply drop the boat to lower on the picture. Instead of the walkway extending in the distance, it could be a little closer to the island. It all depends on what perspective you want to go for. The island and Rick Astley on its own is pretty flexible in terms of perspective. It is the boat and the long walkway that will determine it mostly.

And a little distortion of perspective may not be a bad thing: it can be a stylistic choice, if done well :)
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:45 pm

I couldn't for the life of me make it grainy like sand. I just dont think it's my style. I don't know.
Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Daenerys » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 am

It's always better if it fits in with your style, and this island suits the style of shading on the Rick Astley best. It still looks like sand :)

I don't think you have to make it look grainy. But I can give you some thoughts on stuff? I really like the left corner, next to his feet. The little darker indent in the lightest shade looks like a real little heap of sand. You could experiment with that in some of the other lightest shades.

The colours of the sand do look a little dark to me. But again, that suits the Rick Astley and your style. And the type of island. You could consider making the palm tree leaves of a darker green colour, but better to wait with that until the water is in place.

In my island I used 3 basic sand colours, which I then treated as three parts of the island. Each colour was shaded separately. It worked for my island, but I am not sure it will work for yours. As I said: I think your island does suit the Rick Astley.

All in all, your island looks great!
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby xCassx » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:39 am

Sorry for being so absent for so long, but hey! I managed to catch up xD

Doing the sand was my favourite part >>

Recluse|Penguin Whisperer|Green|Introvert|Time Warpist|Kittens

I am a cat. MEOW.

xCassx
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 32.00
Avatar Base: naturelore.deviantart.com

Postby Daenerys » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 pm

That's okay. I did try to take baby steps :P

Great island! I think you did a great job on the sand. t is quite dark, but this does suit your Rick Astley. I also think you kept the palette close together, which might be a good tip for both my island and Tuxedo-Kittens. It looks really nice.

All I can think of to add is that maybe heaping some sand over the feet of the Rick Astley, and/or the base of the tree trunk, might be an idea. But that is totally up to you.

Right :)

I'll be posting part 4 tomorrow! We're quite well on schedule!
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Yeah, I didn't think about the palette as much as I should have.
Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Daenerys » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Oops.

Okay, tropical weather has stopped me from writing part 4... I'll be doing that tomorrow! It will probably be the last instruction part anyway. Sorry about the delay!
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Daenerys » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

Part 4

Water! Water!

It's tricky. Again, a reference image or two to get you in the right frame of mind might help. Really look at it before you begin, because then you have a good chance of making more convincing water than I made...

First of all, your islands are mostly a different shape than mine. And some of you already did an outline of where you'd like the water to be. If you still like it the way it is, shade away :)

I went for bold and abstract. I think it suits my image better, and distracts less from the pretty abstract sand and tree. First, I made an outline, where I kept in mind, I wanted the horizon lower than the top of the island. If your island has more perspective than mine, keep in mind where the horizon is supposed to be. That also depends on your point of view: are you looking down on the island, from above, or are you lower?

The lower your viewpoint, the lower the horizon on the picture.

Mind you: you can get away with distortion in perspective in dolling! Most dolls themselves are void of proper proportions, with their big heads on small bodies. But to deviate from the proper perspective, you have to realise where the realistic perspective would be. And never deviate so far that it looks awkward or clumsy.

My sea water has dark swirls, and light stripes. I did try to get a reflection across, but could not be bothered to be accurate about it. It is something you could try. I'd recommend making a reflection in the colours of the palette you use for the sea. Use the darker shades to indicate where things from the island might be reflecting.

Again, it depends on the angle of your viewpoint, the style you use, and how much effort you want to put in ;)

Assignment
Finish the island image by adding a splash of water for the island to sit in.

All in all I am pretty happy with my island. It's more or less what I had in mind, but seeing your islands and the work you did, will probably inspire me to try again. And a little more serious this time! :D

I'd love to see what you come up with, and I also would love some feedback on how this workshop went.
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm still working on the plane, but here is the water...

Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Daenerys » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:05 am

I think that works very well. :)

Good thinking in keeping the water shape similar to the island shape. All I can offer is that the water might look more 'realistic' if you keep a more horizontal type of shading. But, then again, your light and dark patches also follow the shape of the water and island together, so it does tie everything in.

I am very curious about the plane :) I think your island is very intriguing!
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Raven-Hollow » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:02 pm

I've not had any questions so far, you're doing an excellent job, Daenerys. :)

Such pretty colors for your water, CrazyLola! :D
Avatar: AmyNatasha / Base: Hollay
Signature: Me / Base: M-onday
My DA
To Do List
Rick Astley my OC?
Raven-Hollow
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 5,077.00

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:03 am

Here is my island with the plane. I took me forever to get it where it looked good enough.

Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Daenerys » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:41 am

Lola: wow.

:) You definitely took the idea and ran with it, miles further than I did. Wonderful job! The water looks very ... watery. It is hard, but I love how you made the base of the island shine through. The water edge, with foam, looks very very convincing.

Kitten: Yay! You kept the plane, island and water tied together in the same style. The whole image tells a story, and it's just lovely. You made a huge image from just one little Rick Astley. (I now have to mention I really really love the crumpled map Mr Pilot is holding :) ) I really love the plane, I love the style of it. The shading is spot on.

Raven, I hope you found something useful. I know that part of not doing a background or prop is that one always thinks it is going to take so long, and so much work. But I wanted to show (to myself as well) that if you break it down in bits, it really is not that much effort and it can add so much to a simple Rick Astley. Making it into a story, rather than just a few pretty pixels :P

Hope to see Cass's island too :)
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Tuxedo-Kitten » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks Daenerys! You were a great teacher and I very much enjoyed doing this workshop.
Tuxedo-Kitten
Celebrity
Celebrity

PreviousNext

Return to Actor's Workshops