C: Make a website, for beginners, open for questions

Time or subject based training

Postby Daenerys » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm home with flu, but I'll try and give you short answers for now. I'll try to get more in depth tomorrow if needed.

1. There is no div for the link. In the original layout, the image used as a logo image pushed the links down to right over the iframe.

Solution 1: create a new div layer for the links section. You can then use absolute positioning to put it right where you want it.

Solution 2: instead of using your Lola's dolls logo as a background image, put that image in the HTML file. Then you'd have to fiddle a little bit more with how much of the image you put in there, so as not to get a break in the layout, though.

2. To make the background image stay stationary, use the property 'fixed' in the css.

Code: Select all
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-attachment:fixed;

I admit, I just copied that from http://www.w3schools.com/css/, but that should work. If it doesn't, I'll get my head around it when I can think more clearer... clearly...

*gets paracetamol*

By the way Lola: awesome layout :D
Image Image
Five and Dae :: PixiStar Base Search :: The Sims Random Stories :: Daenelia's Ramblings
:: To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit ::
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 953.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Daenerys » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks Lola, I am feeling better!

About the links, I think they look good, halfway between the logo and the frame. They stand out a bit more that way.
Image Image
Five and Dae :: PixiStar Base Search :: The Sims Random Stories :: Daenelia's Ramblings
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Daenerys » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 am

Update on workshop

Let's just take a break from coding until 2011!

If you have a very important question (a V.I.Q.), you can ask, but please note I may not be online regularly until January 2nd 2011.

And... in 2011, I will try to give an estimated end date for this workshop.
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Reichiruu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:25 pm

It's only two days into 2011, but I thought I'd ask, are we still rolling?

http://peinchii.webs.com/
I think it's been worked on a fair bit since you last saw it.
-sigh- I don't know if it's just my temporary state of depression [or something like it] or not, but I don't much like the look at all.

I can't decide colours, look, buttons, borders... nothing. I had ideas and I liked my ideas...
I'm sure it's too dark anyways... suu >o<
Reichiruu
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 616.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby Daenerys » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:02 am

We'\re still rolling :) I a going to make a more structured follow up, but feel free to post your progress and questions when you need.

I am looking at your site in firefox and it looks a bit off. The border is not around your main content anymore. The image that is the background for the content was originally included in the 'middle' div.

As for colours, dark can be good. But maybe your background is a little too busy. Try finding some inspiration in sites like Gothic Lolita, Hello Lace or Starlets and Harlots. Gothic Lolita uses only 2 colours: black and then some white scribbles/drawings. Hello Lace uses black as accents and Starlets and Harlots uses this awesome pink/black tartan pattern.

When you're not sure about the look and colours of your site, always look at sites that inspire you. Then don't plainly copy them, but take bits that you like and try to recreate that in your own layout.

Another good idea is to take one doll you are 100% happy with and use that as inspiration for your colorscheme and background.

Do you have any direct questions?
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Postby Daenerys » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Update on time limit

I will close this workshop on January 31st 2011. Until then, anyone can post short questions. The 2 remaining trainees can apply for more in-depth help, if they need it.

Update on lessons
I will update the free layout site Dae's Free Layouts with lessons as we go along. The first lesson is up at this page.

Post your url!
I would like to include links to people who used the free layouts as starting points. Even if you are not one of the trainees!

Post your questions
For the trainees: please post questions about things you can't get working, or don;t know how to modify. For everyone else: go on, I like answering questions about making sites.

That's the update for now. Sorry I've been so absent, due to holiday and illness (better now!).
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Re: C: Make a website, for beginners, open for questions

Postby Daenerys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Closed

Some sites where started, one was finished without my help, and all in all I feel it is done. The layouts are filled with notes, so anyone should be able to use them now. But feel free to pm me with questions.

Thanks for your attention!
Image Image
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Previous

Return to Actor's Workshops